I got the Optigan sample CD. A quirky early sampler kinda, used by Tom Waits and The Eels, among others.
Cool sounds, great fun. If you like the Mellotron, you’ll like this too.
I finally got around to rationalising my plugins- I’ve halved the number of free VSTs I’m using it Pro Tools via fxpansions excellent VST to RTAS wrapper. Using the excellent Massey tape head plugin for mastering warmth it doesn’t sound exactly like a good tape machine, but makes nice sounds nonetheless!
Garageband ’08 is seeing a lot of use as a composing tool- it’s so fast for getting ideas down and orchestrated.
Gear list updated.
Pics of new studio and environs on the way.
My studio (left) and Mylo’s studio (right)… both need work! 🙂
Finn’s doing well in NYC.
Bud’s live album mix is finished, and “sounds like a record”!
Stan has been using my Yamaha sampler on the secondhand culture project with Rory Cobb.
Quite apt, using a vintage sampler on something like this! 🙂
• Weekdays are booked out with teaching work until June.
• I am still available for mastering at weekends.
• Currently mixing the Buds live, and Fionbarra’s album.
• Redesigning studio in the new location, by the sea. Superstition holds that studios by the sea are the best 🙂
• Casio VZ-1 keyboard for sale- lovely synth action, 3 mod wheels and assignable foot controller, cool sounding synth. I am changing to the rackmomunting version due to Feng Shui 🙂
• MAKING PICTURES has just been short listed for the BEST DOCUMENTARY FILM AWARD at the
Boston Irish Film Festival November 8-11 2007. Irish premiere is Oct 15th 2007 at the Corona Cork Film Festival. European premiere is on the 20th October 2007 at the ARTECINEMA FILM FEST in Naples, Italy.
• Funny thing. I used my glockenspiel on Declan’s film. It’s also seeing some use on that street singer’s album I’m doing right now. Turns out The Feeling use the same one! So it must be good 🙂 See here.
• Been very busy. Lots of interesting gigs. Just finished location sound for a Canadian docu on the Air India disaster, directed by the esteemed Sturla Gunarsson.
• Doing post for an educational film on joyriding, mixing the Refuseniks and recording the Symbolics 🙂 Got rid of NI Guitar Rig, the Vox is doing the business with the Refuseniks, we’ve finished all the overdubs and it’s set to be a pop gem.
• I don’t miss the Casio, but the Yamaha was great. It was actually my first ever synth :(. But it’s not so bad, I have another CS5, and a CS10 too :).
• The BCF2000 is really good. Works well, mixing is definitely faster. One more purchase, a keyboard overlay for Pro Tools shortcuts, from here. Inexpensive and highly recommended. So now I can finish a session at a more sociable time!
• The studio layout is quite different from the pictures now. Improved acoustics and ergonomics. I’m just waiting for the right light for a photograph 🙂
• I’ll be working on a single with The Refuseniks in a couple of weeks, fitting in to their busy gigging schedule.
• Got some nice yellow and green mic cables.
• So! Solved the BUPA mystery… Thanks David!